Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sonic Racing Car begins

I had an opportunity to visit Donington racetrack on 19th April to record some racing car sounds for the forthcoming instrument 'Sonic Racing Car'. Special thanks to Lindsay Jelly and her son Stephen who made this happen during a very busy Formula 3 test day .

There was lots of action both on the track and in the pits. Lindsay focused on capturing some video footage on a HDV camcorder whilst I did some recording using the Edirol R09. Tried a number of mics including the Beyerdynamic MCE86.2 which was incredibly sensitive.

Got some really good sounds of cars pulling into the pits and lots of whirrs and bangs and clanking. I didn't attempt a full multi-track recording as there wasn't really time and I need more preparation. Eventually I'm hoping to do a similar style recording to the washing machine using multiple mics recording specific areas.

Despite being in the middle of finishing the washing machine I felt this was an opportunity not to be missed.

No comments: